Wednesday, August 26, 2009

"District 9 is hands down the best film of the summer and has made me love movies all over again.."

A Word:

This is the first movie in years which I walked into almost completely oblivious to what I was about to see. Moments ago, I watched the trailers for the first time. While they don’t reveal a whole lot, they do reveal a couple moments that are spoiler. Even with that, this film will blow your mind.

The Plot:

I don’t want to tell you anything about this movie or the plot. This is one of those times where you just have to go see the film ASAP. If you ignore my advice, I promise you that you will be hearing it from every person around you whether you want to or not. It will still rock your world. There are aliens. There are humans. It is not what you think it is. The less you know, the better.

The Good:

  • Neill Blomkamp: The visual effects master jumped into the director’s chair and has created something wonderfully fresh in District 9.
  • The Script: Terri Tatchell and Blomkamp’s screenplay is so masterfully crafted, it is hard to point out one thing that makes it remarkable. The characters they create and the journey they take you on will leave you begging for more by the end of the film.
  • The Acting: The lead, played by Sharlto Copley, is an unknown actor who arrives on the scene and takes the film to an entirely new level. I don’t know how any other actor could have done what he did in this film. It seems like I’m cheating on him when I try to imagine another actor in his role. Must… be… loyal…
  • Cinematography: A good portion of the film is shot in a documentary style. But not the annoying kind. The fluid kind that does not take away from the flow of the film. We weave in and out of “doc mode” and “film mode” so seamlessly, it could sneak out and take your car right in front of your eyes.
  • Action/Visual Effects: The film will test your patience. But that makes the nectar all the more tasty when you taste it.

  • The Bad:
  • Nothing: I honestly cannot think of something that did not work for me.

  • Overall:

This is the best Sci-Fi movie to come out in years.


Rating: 10/10

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You never write this down!!! From where u copy?

Tenchi said...

wahaha...you know me so well...

From few of the reviews i read....but this is what i wanan bring out is truth...

Koh said...

H1N1 make me avoid to go Cinema...